Friday, January 11, 2013

Sun Devotions

Each day we are leading one another in devotions.  The first day I led,, and this morning my dear friend Liesebet led us in morning devotions.

There is a beautiful dome sitting in the heart of the Henry Martin Institute.  It is somewhat like a gazeboo, with an open roof to allow the sun to stream in and bless the space.  It was there that Liesebet led us in yoga sun prayers and the passage from Matthew about being the light of the world. Together we meditated on the passage, contimplating that perhaps what God was asking of us was to allow other people the space to be the light, rather than claiming that light as our own.

Here in India, where we listen to people share their culture and their faith, when we try new foods and experience the wonder of taking a bucket-shower, it is becoming apparent that the light of God shines in places and times we could never imagine.

I never thought I would go to India without my uncle who was born in New Delhi.  I never imagined that I would ever do yoga in India.  I never imagined that as a person living with lupus, I could do yoga at all.  Yet, here in India, in a place I never thought I would be, as I welcomed the sun and lifted my heart to the heavens, I am seeing how the light of God shines in ways I never knew were possible.  I was reminded that there is no place where God can't reach, there is no ray of light that God has not blessed, and there is no prayer that is unheard.

Especially if that prayer is expressed under the sun using all of our body, heart, and soul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment