Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Eternality of Worship

I had never worshiped in a faith tradition that was not an Abrahamic tradition until today.

We are staying at the Henry Martin Institute in Hyderabad, India.  This center is an interfaith institution that centers on promoting peace and justice.  Our first night in the city, they referred us to a unique opportunity to observe a Hindu worship experience.

The first thing to know about Hinduism is that the name "Hinduism" is almost a slang term.  Those following their tradition address their faith as the "Eternal Religion".  While observing this service, I realized there is something eternal about all coroprate worship experiences.

There was a moment in the gathering section of the Hindu service where we were showered with water, much like how many higher-liturgical Lutheran churches remember their baptism.  This water was to remind those gathered how the blessings of God fall upon us.

There was another moment where candles were lit before prayers.  I was reminded of the season of Advent when we light the wreath and pray, and when we light the Pascal candle at Easter Vigil.

The service ended with a meal.  While their meal was food that was sacrificed to their gods, we eat a meal that is our eternal sacrifice; Christ, in with and under the elements.

There were smells and there were bells.  Their bells nearly shook the roof off the temple, and while I could not understand the words that were song, the intensity of the celebration left no doubt that worship was happening in this place.

I had almost a primal reaction to that service.  My body knew things that my brain and upbringing could not understand.  While I knew that the beliefs uplifted in this temple could not be more different then my own, I knew that our Triune God smiled down on that place.  I know that God continued to reveal Godself to me through familiar worship images in an unfamiliar time and space and theology.   I was reminded that no matter where I am in the world or what I am doing, God comes to me and shows me that I am greatly loved.  In that moment, I truly began to understand that the eternality of worship unites us in ways that are beyond words or traditions.

To see pictures of the first day, see Robert's post, "The Beginning"

No comments:

Post a Comment